Main news from version 10 to version 11. (See Detailed news from 10 to 11 for the full list of news).
- Ttk themed windows (experimental 'Dark GiD theme' and 'Classic theme')
Classic theme window
Dark theme window
- Faster drawing using advanced OpenGL features (Vertex arrays and Vertex buffer objects) and textures
- Plugins: new postprocess import plugins: PLY, OFF and OBJ formats
- OffScreen: to run GiD in background with graphic features without any window (.e.g. to create images in batch mode)
- Sphere and circle element support enhanced: draw as texture and more generation options
- Ground plane: can be used as floor (shadows are drawn on it) or as mirror (window View->Advanced viewing settings..)
- Automatic check if a new version is available when starting GiD.
- Tetgen volume mesher inside GiD, based on Delaunay algorithm.
- Meshing in parallel. The volumes can be meshed in parallel using the number of threads wanted by the user (set at Preferences->General).
- Join volumes for geometric edition, and join surfaces preserve applied conditions.
- Edit NURBS: conversion to Bezier form for curves and surfaces.
- Draw curvature of curves by colors.
- Cartesian volume mesh with non-uniform grid spacing, size ratio, settings in preferences window and support of cartesian 'face' and 'edge' elements.
- Draw higherentity on mesh edges. (View->Higher Entities->Edge).
- Structured lines: allow to assign real size to set the equivalent number of cells.
- Option for manual creation of nodes and elements.
- GDAL plugin to import GIS files as geometric or mesh entities.
- EMA3D plugin to import cartesian meshes generated by CADfix
- STAR-CD plugin to import STAR-CD meshes
- Improvements in most meshers: rfast, rsurf, semi-structured, boundary layer, quadrilateral mesher, etc.
- Results cache: Avoid load all results simultaneously in memory, and allow set maximum memory to be used.
- Node tracing: Draw of the path followed by a node in along time steps.
- Saving postprocess state (isosurfaces, stream lines and view information is saved between sessions).
- Integral: more options available in numerical integration of results.
- Creation of boundary mesh of currently visualized mesh.
- Separate connected parts in different sets.
- Render: Added two new fixed lights (switchable separately).
- Results support complex numbers: ComplexScalar and ComplexVector.
- Animation: new Macromedia Flash Video (.flv) export format.
- Create Results: added more operators (sqrt, log10, db10, db20, abs, exp, inverse, dFT).
- Creation of statistical result calculating the minimum, maximum, average or the standard deviation of other result.
- Create Graphs window: to create a graph applying some operator to another graph.
- Read of postprocess files with GiD postprocess HDF5 format written by the GiDPost library, and files with Amelet HDF5 format.
- Contour Fill/Contour ranges: option to display the range just under the cursor.
- VTK plugin to import mesh and results.
- PDF output: now outputs images in pdf format.
- PLY export: shown meshes and current nodal result can be exported in the Polygon File Format, aka. Stanford Triangle Format.
- Improvements in several algorithms: stream lines, etc.
- GiD dynamic library plug-in mechanism to load/unload dynamic libraries (developed an interface to create postprocess mesh and nodal results).
- New GiD-Tcl commands:
- GiD_Geometry now allow also create and ask for contact-surface and contact-volume and to list the problematic un-rendered surfaces.
- GiD_Cartesian to get and set cartesian grid properties.
- GiD_BackgroundImage to handle background image.
- GiD_MeshPost to create and inquire postprocess mesh.
- GiD_Result, new 'gauss_point' and 'result_ranges_table' sub-commands to manage them.
- GiD_Graph to handle postprocess graphs.
- Tcl-GiD events:
- New events AfterCreateMaterial, AfterRenameMaterial, BeforeDeleteMaterial, AfterChangeMaterial, AfterAssignMaterial, BeforeMeshErrors, BeforeResultReadErrors.
- GiD_Info events: to know the full list of raised events.
- Global Tcl variables:
- GidPriv(HideQuadraticTypeLevel) to disable quadratic options .
- GidPriv(PostSpaceDimension) to disable 3D results.
- Tcl packages:
- GDAL Tcl package to read/write GIS digital terrain models from multiple formats (Arc/Info, tiff and most image formats ,etc.).
- Vtk Tcl package to wrap vtk functionality.
- Most Tcl packages updated to latest versions.